Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Politics

Politics. They really have been getting on my nerves lately. I don't understand why two men running for the highest position of authority in our country can continue to blatantly lie directly to the public. Are we really that stupid that we'll ignore their incorrect statements and just let them slide? It just is frustrating that we can't get one candidate who actually knows what he is talking about.

I suppose it might be too much to ask. I realize they have to have talking points prepared for any possible question they might be asked.. and that it is probably easier to memorize half-truths which sound better rather than the actual facts.

The way the economy is right now, I sort of feel bad for who ever gets elected. As my boss said, "they are walking into a shit storm". And really, he is right. I can't imagine our economic issues being fixed in the next.. 5 years, so that sort of puts the next president in a bad place. He won't be able to make changes to fix the economy overnight and that is what people want. They want the stock markets back at record highs, the housing market to be strong again, and free money. It isn't going to happen. But oh well, the public is a fickle thing. Perhaps who ever gets elected will be able to at least make it through their term without being considered a terrible president. We'll see.

And no, I didn't watch the debates.. I just couldn't bring myself too. Also, I forgot it was on... I was swimming. But I have a feeling half-truths and misleading statements were made. It is politics after all.

-Later

4 comments:

J Williams said...

Heyo -- check it out:

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/factchecking_debate_no_2.html

Dave said...

yeah, I check out that website from time to time. Wish the politicians would too. It is sad when they repeatedly use the same incorrect statements.

S said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
S said...

Oh, way to start blogging about politics, Jackass. ...

I did watch the debates. You didn't miss anything important although it's kind of hot when Sarah Palin winks at the camera. The debates and interviews are to the point where the candidates will address a question (or not) for twelve seconds and then spend the rest of their allotted time bashing the other guy. It seems it's safer to damn your opponent than to offer up anything substantive which you can be called on later. I think McCain and Obama know what they're (not) talking about but are reluctant to reveal anything because it will end up as ammunition for the other guy. This is why Palin can almost go toe to toe with a real politician. She doesn't know anything so she has just as much to not discuss as anyone else. Remarkable. :)