Thursday, October 16, 2008

Aikido

So I've been planning on doing it for awhile now, but last night I finally went back to an Aikido class. I think this blog was started after I had already stopped doing Aikido.. so it has been quite some time since I've been tossed around like a rag doll.

It was fantastic. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed it. Of course I'm horribly out of practice, and shape.. but those will return in time. I'm more worried about the state of my feet and ankles. They have traditional tatami mats which I'm not accustomed to training on. So I've got some blisters that even Lacy would be proud of. But it was entirely worth it.

The only issue I have is that it is a different style than I originally trained it. The differences are subtle but apparent. Their movements are slightly different on many of the moves we practiced last night.. so I obviously struggled trying to meld my previous teachings with these new movements. It is interesting and I'm curious to see how everything turns out. They don't kiai which was a big part of my original practice of Aikido. So that made me stand out just a bit. But I'm not going to stop... it was ingrained in me for far to long to try to do things silently now.

Ok, I'm going to get back to work now.

-Later

No comments: